A Brief History of Littleton Baptist Church established November, 1873.
The Littleton Baptist Church was organized on the second Sunday in November, 1873, in an upper room of the store belonging to Shaw and Browning in the Town of Littleton, which was later operated by J. N. Moseley, with thirteen charter members: B. R. Browning and wife, Mrs. Nancy Bobbitt Browning; J. L. Shaw and wife, Mrs. Tempie Bobbitt Shaw; J. R. Bobbitt and daughter, Miss Mary Alice Bobbitt, W. H. Bobbitt and wife, Mrs. Louise Pope Bobbitt; Joshua Wilson; B. E. King and sister, Miss Sarah King; C. L. Sledge and wife, Mrs. Pinkie Minges Sledge.
Most of the charter members, if not all, came from Enon Baptist Church near Littleton. Enon Baptist Church was either sold or given to the black people in 1872, which moved it near Littleton a few years later and rebuilt it of brick. Enon Church, according to the custom of all churches in the south, prior to the Civil War, received Negro slaves as members along with the people of the white race. The last pastor of Enon Baptist Church was Reverend Thomas Wilcox, the father of Reverend A. G. Wilcox who died in the year 1920. The Reverend A. G. Wilcox was for forty two year's clerk of the Tar River Association.
The organization of the Littleton Baptist Church took place four years before the Town of Littleton was incorporated.
The church was organized under the leadership of Dr. W. T. Walters, former Professor of Mathematics at Wake Forest College, aided by Reverend N. A. Purefoy. The articles of faith and covenant, as laid down in Hitchcock's Church Manual, were read and adopted as a basis of union. B. R. Browning and C. L. Sledge were chosen deacons and ordained in the afternoon of the day of organization as above mentioned and J. R. Bobbitt was received as a deacon from Enon Church without re-ordination. C. L. Sledge was elected Church Clerk and Treasurer and Dr. Walters was called to the pastorate of the new church and was reappointed annually. No salary was specified until the third year after its organization when the Church voted to pay him a salary of $175.00 per year.
In 1920 the church completed its construction of a new church on Mosby Avenue, its present site. In 1954, a fellowship hall was added and the church completely "turned around." The beautiful and worshipful sanctuary and functional educational unit were ready for occupancy and the first service was on Dec. 12, 1954. In 1998 the church purchased the Newsom property next to the church and excavated and paved the property for parking purposes. In 2007, the church purchased the corner lot on Mosby Avenue and US 158. This was the former Littleton United Methodist Church Parsonage. The former parsonage became the present site of the church offices and meeting rooms and has proved a great asset to the church properties. The church underwent extensive renovating to include handicapped ramps in the sanctuary making it completely accessible to all people.
Rev. Michael O. Currin has served as pastor since August 14, 1995 until the present. He came from pastor of the Trinity Baptist Church of Tarboro, North Carolina.
The present church is made up of 250 members. The church meets each Sunday for both Sunday School and Morning Worship. Youth meet regularly on Sunday evenings along with Children's activities. The adult choir practices each Wednesday followed by Prayer and Bible Study. Among the special ministries of the church are including an annual Free Kid's Carnival provided by the church at the John 3:16 Center and an annual mission ministry to Ahuachapán, El Salvador to support the poor through a medical clinic, food distribution, construction and the ongoing work of the churches in the area.
The church is in partnership with the Cullom Baptist Association, Cooperative Baptist Fellowship of NC and the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship and supports the work of the John 3:16 Center in Littleton, N.C. The church celebrated its 140th Anniversary on November 10, 2013.
It remains to be seen, what great and wonderful things the Lord has in store for us in the next century. But, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, we press ever onward in His name and for His sake.